WHAT IS HIGH INTENSITY LASER THERAPY (HILT)
High Intensity Laser therapy penetrates deeper into tissues to reach injuries than low level lasers. It improves circulation in the area of the treatment allowing the body to heal more effectively. It also promotes cellular activity, encouraging the body’s natural healing process. It also reduces swelling and inflammation. Other effects include a decrease in muscle spasms, stiffness, and pain. This is not low level laser therapy. Most chiropractors using laser therapy with their patients are using low level category IIIb lasers which do not penetrate much below the surface of the skin and do not generate any heat. High intensity laser therapy can penetrate up to 4 cm below the skins surface and generates heat when used. This is why the high intensity laser head must be moved constantly during patient treatment.
Laser therapy is a non-invasive treatment modality used by chiropractors to reduce pain and promote healing. The effectiveness is relies on the amount of energy absorbed by the body's tissues. There are two main categories of laser therapy used in chiropractic care: low-level laser therapy (LLLT) and high-intensity laser therapy (HILT).
Low-level laser therapy (LLLT), also known as Class 3 laser therapy or cold laser therapy, uses low-level laser light to penetrate the skin and tissues approximately 0.5cm under the skins surface to improve cellular function and promote healing. LLLT is a painless, non-invasive treatment that has been shown to be effective in reducing pain and inflammation, promoting tissue healing, and improving overall function. It due to the nature, it takes much longer to deliver the same amount of energy with a low level laser as it does with a high intensity laser. Additionally, the high intensity laser that we use will penetrate up to 10cm below the skins surface allowing us to treat tissues deep under the surface in much shorter time.
DR. PALMER IS ONE OF THE ONLY DOCTORS IN THE LYNCHBURG, VA AND THE ONLY DOCTOR IN ALTAVISTA, VA AREA TO OFFER HIGH INTENSITY CLASS IV LASER THERAPY.
Category IV Therapeutic High Intensity Lasers are the single most important breakthrough we have witnessed in the history of therapy. It is without a doubt the safest, most effective, non-invasive, painless therapy available. Patient results reported across the globe are nothing short of amazing! A Fox news article reported that High Intensity Laser Therapy was part of Patrick Mahome's treatment that allowed him to make it to the 2023 Super Bowl after a high ankle sprain just weeks before.
Here at Palmer Chiropractic Center, we are always looking for ways to improve the care we provide by utilizing modern technologies like the category 4 high intensity laser therapy. While using a category 4 laser for therapy is not new (it was cleared by the FDA in 2003 to reduce pain), it is something that many of our patients have never heard of.
There are so many benefits to high intensity laser therapy in conjunction with chiropractic treatment. Our goal as chiropractors is to restore neurologic communication with-in the the body which is often through spinal manipulation for optimal performance. High intensity laser therapy is one of the fastest, most effective modalities chiropractors currently have to treat pain and inflammation safely and non-invasively. High intensity laser therapy is growing in popularity as a way to reduce inflammation and decrease pain, and we offer this treatment on its own or in combination with other form of treatment to help get you feeling like your old self again.
If you are suffering from a painful condition and are looking for a non-surgical and drug-free solution, our Category IV High Intensity Laser Therapy may be able to help.
LASER PATIENT OUTCOMES:
- 65 y/o male with 5+ years of neuropathy in both lower legs and feet.
Patient was seen and treated by Neurologist with medication and told the condition was "Idiopathic" or of unknown origin. The neurologist provided him medication and told him there was nothing more he could do but that the condition would likely progress with time. The medication did not help and the numbness continued to progress from his feet up into his lower legs to approximately 3" below his knees. He also developed pain in his feet with walking and had difficulty maintaining balance causing him to fall due to the lack of sensation in his feet. He was treated with High Intensity Laser Therapy (HILT) along the involved nerve distribution, specific nutrition, pulse electro magnetic wave therapy (PEMF therapy), and Cox Distraction Spinal Decompression. I performed 23 HILT sessions on his legs and feet over the course of 4 months while he was taking the nutritional supplements and receiving PEMF after the most of the HILT sessions. Upon release, he had sensation all the way down his legs to his toes and very little pain with walking.
- Idiopathic (Undiagnosed Cause)
- Herniated disc pain
- Knee Pain
- Planter Fasciitis
- Back and Neck Pain
- Tendonitis and Carpal Tunnel
- Elbow Pain
- Shoulder Pain
- Muscle Overuse Pain
- Sports Injuries
- Foot Pain
- Leg Pain
- Hip Pain
- Sprains and Strains
- Repetitive Strain Injuries
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Wrist Pain
- Venous Ulcers
- Diabetic Foot Ulcers
- Deep Edema / Congestion
- Auto & Work Related Injuries
- Trigger Points
- Post-Surgical Pain Reduction
- Spinal Stenosis
- Trigeminal Neuralgia
- Bells Palsy
- Sciatic Pain
- Morton's Neuroma
- Herpes Zoster (Shingles)
- Post Viral Loss of Smell
Some of the benefits of this unique treatment include:
- Relief of both acute and chronic pain. This enables you to bend, crouch, reach and perform regular daily activities easily and without discomfort.
- Improved range of motion and mobility in the affected area. When your range of motion is affected, it greatly affects your quality of life, so you will feel a lot like your old self again once.
- High Power Laser Therapy - is an effective treatment in patients with whiplash injury, compared to conventional simple segmental physical rehabilitation with a faster return to work than with physical rehabilitation alone.
- The treatment is painless. There is no discomfort associated with laser therapy treatment.
- Reduces the need for pharmaceuticals. Laser therapy is a drug-free way to help eliminate your pain.
- It is non-invasive. No invasive surgical procedures and no risk of associated infections.
- Can be combined with exercises (physical therapy) to improve outcome.
- One application of class IV laser therapy that is started to gain acceptance is pain management after surgery. One study conducted in 2015 showed a significant reduction in pain. The study contained 100 patients who underwent off-pump coronary artery bypass surgery. The results indicated the existence of tissue healing. Two other notable results were a shortened healing time and decreased need for pain medication.
PROFESSIONAL SPORTS ENDORSES LASER THERAPY
Cincinnati Bengals - ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
We were introduced to the K-laser midway last
season and it immediately became an integral part of our treatment options with
the Cincinnati Bengal's. It made our low-level laser virtually obsolete and
proved to be very helpful in returning our injured athletes to the field
quickly. Its sleek design and fool-proof applications makes it easy for any
health care professional to bring state of the art therapy into their office.
Toronto Raptors - ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Since starting with the laser, I have had some
outstanding results in being able to get our athletes back to the game and practice.
New York Jets - ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
….extremely helpful returning our players as quickly and safely to the field of play.
Boston Celtics - ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
The LCT-1000® laser therapy device has been an invaluable asset to our team. I would like to thank you and LiteCure for helping to keep our players in the game throughout our 2008 Championship season. This laser therapy device will continue to be part of the high level of care our medical staff provides our players.
VP, Major League Baseball - ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
I am so impressed with the laser, and it’s healing properties, I am now recommending it to my family, friends and business associates.
Toronto Blue Jays - ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
We have been using the laser successfully to treat conditions such as plantar fasciitis, hamstring pulls, and other nagging injuries. All the players love the laser. The treatment times are fast and the results are obvious. Our pitching staff use the laser as part of their normal warm up and rehab treatments. The laser is instrumental in getting players back on the field earlier than expected after severe injury. We have used low level lasers in the past, the big difference with the LCT-1000® is the faster treatment times and consistent positive outcomes.
Miami Heat - ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
I have several players now that only wish to have their injuries treated with the laser. We have had great success treating “-itis” problems. Both patellar and plantar fascitis are responding to treatment very quickly and we couldn’t be more pleased. My only regret is that it took me three years of talking and researching to be convinced to acquire a unit.
Class 4 Laser Therapy Benefits
The benefits of class 4 laser therapy include reduced pain and swelling as well as improved range of motion but a class 4 laser has some very interesting effects that we don’t notice as obviously. A class 4 laser increases tissue regeneration which is why you heal faster but it also accelerates soft tissue and bone repair. This kind of laser therapy can also improve nerve regeneration & function as well as impact your cells to increase cell metabolism, enzymatic responses, collagen production, and promote angiogenesis (the creation of new blood vessels). So yes, you walk away from class 4 laser therapy feeling better but the therapy continues to work on the cellular level to improve your musculoskeletal health after you leave the office.
We use class 4 laser therapy on a range of issues including chronic knee pain or arthritis, chronic Achilles tendonitis, elbow pain or tendonitis in the elbow, neuropathy, lumbar disc injuries, poster surgical healing, pinched nerves, muscle strains, chronic wrist pain, and ligamentous sprains. We are able to use the class 4 laser on a wide range of injury sites and extremities to provide relief to our patients.
Now you might be wondering what it feels like to get class 4 laser therapy. We find that many patients think that laser therapy will hurt and they’re pleasantly surprised to learn that they will feel some soothing warmth in the area we’re treating but certainly no pain. Class 4 lasers provide pain-free relief to many of our patients and can also be used in conjunction with other treatments like dry needling, PEMF, therapeutic exercise, and spinal manipulation.
How does Class 4 Laser Therapy Work?
The wavelength of the laser used in Class 4 laser therapy penetrates deeper and more efficiently than the Class 3 laser allowing it to pass energy to the nerve, muscle, ligament, and tendon tissue in a short amount of time. In fact, most sessions range from 2-6 minutes which means we can treat injured tissue in multiple areas in a single session thus improving your results.
Class 4 laser therapy stimulates the production of ATP (adenosine triphosphate) which drives many of the processes within our cells. This increased production of ATP helps speed up the healing process within cells. This video from a manufacturer of one of the category IV laser devices explains how the category 4 laser works at a cellular level:
Class IV High Intensity Laser Therapy VS Cold Laser Therapy (Class 3B)
COLD CLASS 3B
Cold Laser Therapy (or Low Level Light Therapy) was introduced into the USA in 2001 with low power levels. Since that time new scientific and clinical discoveries have led to the development of the higher power lasers, including the new Class IV laser therapy. Cold lasers are really only able to treat simple conditions because they can penetrate just 0.5 cm into the body. The only areas the cold laser can effect are related to the skin or just under the skin, and treatment times are usually very long.
CLASS IV LASER (HILT)
Chiropractic treats joints, muscles, spine, and nerves and needs a higher-powered laser to effectively treat pain and help the body heal. The Class IV laser is able to penetrate 4-10 cm and is 24 times more powerful that a cold laser. Since it is able to penetrate so deeply into the body, the vast majority of muscles, ligaments, tendons, joints, and nerves can be treated effectively.
Laser therapy using the Class IV has a myriad of non-invasive, non-surgical, and drug-free healing effects. Laser therapy provides pain relief of acute and chronic conditions. It decreases inflammation by increasing the energy to the cell. Increased energy allows for better absorption of nutrients and the reduction of toxins. Laser therapy is especially effective to speed up recovery after a surgery or sports injury.
There are so many benefits to laser therapy as a chiropractic treatment. Our goal as chiropractors is to neurologically align the body for optimal performance. High-power laser therapy is one of the fastest, most effective modalities chiropractors currently have to treat pain and inflammation safely and non-invasively. This is why we have chosen to use the Category IV laser to treat our patients.
Some of the benefits of high-intensity laser therapy include:
- Pain relief: HILT has been shown to be effective in reducing pain and inflammation, particularly for conditions such as back pain, neck pain, and joint pain.
- Improved tissue healing: HILT can help to speed up the healing process by increasing blood flow and promoting cellular function, which can lead to improved tissue healing and reduced scarring.
- Reduced muscle spasms: HILT can help to relax muscles and reduce muscle spasms, making it useful for conditions such as muscle strains and spasms.
- Improved range of motion: HILT can help to improve joint mobility and range of motion, making it useful for conditions such as osteoarthritis and other degenerative joint conditions.
- Improved athletic performance: HILT can help to improve athletic performance by reducing muscle soreness, improving tissue healing, and increasing range of motion.
It's important to keep in mind that the benefits of HILT can vary depending on the individual patient and the specific condition being treated. Additionally, the effectiveness of HILT will depend on a number of factors, such as the skill and experience of the chiropractor, the type of laser used, and the duration and frequency of the treatments.
Over 2000 published research studies demonstrate:
- High intensity laser therapy improves return to work time in whiplash patients.
- High Intensity Laser Therapy combined with exercises was more effective than Low Level Laser Therapy combined with exercises, and both treatment modalities were better than exercises (Physical Therapy) alone in the treatment of patients with Knee Osteoarthritis
- Lasers in Medical Science volume 29, pages1371–1376 (2014)
- HILT was the most effective treatment modality compared to LLLT and massage with exercises for Bell's Palsy
- Lasers in Medical Science volume 29, pages335–342 (2014)
- It is an effective means of relief for many pain syndromes
- Photobiomodulation, known as low level laser therapy, is considered of moderate benefit based on the evidence review in treatment of chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy.
- Deep tissue laser therapy significantly reduced pain and improved the quality of life of older patients with painful diabetic peripheral neuropathy.
- Effect of deep tissue laser therapy treatment on peripheral neuropathic pain in older adults with type 2 diabetes: a pilot randomized clinical trial. BMC Geriatrics volume 19, Article number: 218 (2019)
- Enhanced nerve regeneration & function
- Quite effective in reducing pain intensity by more than 50% and reducing the frequency of attacks of severe pain neuropathic pain in post-herpetic neuralgia
- The evidence obtained shows Laser therapy has a positive effect in controlling diabetic neuropathic pain.
- Diabetes & Metabolic Syndrome: Clinical Research & Reviews Volume 13, Issue 4, July–August 2019, Pages 2667-2670
- Increased microcirculation & vasodilation
- Increased lymphatic flow
- Increased collagen production
- Increases the speed, quality and tensile strength of tissue repair
- Reduced inflammation
- Enhanced angiogenesis (creation of new blood vessels)
If you suffer from chronic musculoskeletal pain, arthritic joints, nagging injuries, neuropathy, and other painful problems, you need a treatment approach that helps you feel and function better as safely and non-invasively as possible. Chiropractic adjustment can offer remarkable benefits, but Dr. Adam W Palmer knows how to enhance those benefits even further through complementary techniques. Photobiomodulation laser therapy could make all the difference in helping you reclaim your quality of life.
What Is Photobiomodulation Therapy?
Photobiomodulation, also called low-level laser therapy (LLLT), uses amplified light delivered in a narrow beam to treat a variety of musculoskeletal ailments. Unlike surgical lasers, photobiomodulation therapy penetrates the skin without burning or cutting.
The laser reaches into underlying tissues in need of treatment. There, it triggers increased cellular production of an energy source called ATP. Cells can then use this extra energy to rebuild and regenerate themselves.
Photobiomodulation also increases circulation in the tissues receiving treatment. This boost brings more oxygen and other healing ingredients to the cells while also helping tissues expel unwanted fluids or inflammatory byproducts. As a result, you experience a reduction in pain, swelling, and inflammation.
How Photobiomodulation Works With Chiropractic Care
Dr. Palmer team uses photobiomodulation laser therapy as a sensible adjunct to chiropractic care. Many of the same conditions that we treat through chiropractic adjustment also respond well to photobiomodulation laser therapy. Examples include:
- Tendinitis or bursitis
- Neck or low-back pain
- Trigger Points
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Nerve damage and chronic neurological symptoms
- Fractures or other acute injuries
- Knee, foot, or other joint pain (including arthritis symptoms)
Research showed that sufferers from facet joint (spinal) pain who received both chiropractic care and photobiomodulation laser therapy enjoyed a greater degree of improvement than patients who only received one or the other (or no treatment at all).
The Laser can also be used to help athletic performance and recovery. We have combined laser therapy, dry needle therapy, pulsed electromagnetic frequency, and chiropractic manipulations in some instances to help athletes get back to optimal performance and/or recover from an injury.
What to Expect During and After Photobiomodulation Laser Therapy
Photobiomodulation laser therapy doesn't cause any discomfort; the treatment itself usually feels warm and soothing. Each treatment you receive may relieve more of your symptoms, which is why we typically recommend a series of treatments. Many patients experience significant relief right away. For more information about spinal and laser therapy, contact Palmer Chiropractic Center of Lynchburg at (434) 237-2299 or our Altavista location at (434) 369-1015.