If you are suffering from sudden, sharp pain or numbness, you might have a pinched nerve that needs to be treated by a chiropractor. Pinched nerves can happen in many different areas of the body, leading to scary symptoms that can be debilitating. At Palmer Chiropractic Center, Dr. Palmer has dedicated the past 22 years to helping our patients find relief from pinched nerves and other ailments. If you live in or around Lynchburg and Altavista and suspect you are dealing with a pinched nerve, contact Dr. Palmer today.
What Is a Pinched Nerve?
Pinched nerves are exactly what they sound like. Nerves become too compressed by pressure from surrounding bones, muscles, or cartilage, leading to painful symptoms. Pinched nerves can happen in your lower, middle, or upper back, arms and elbows, or hands and wrists. Some of the most common causes of pinched nerves include:
- Muscle inflammation causing the muscles to compress the nerves
- Injuries at work or due to an accident
- Overuse and repeated stress
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Herniated or slipped discs
Pinched nerves can be accompanied by several different symptoms, including:
- Muscle weakness
- Pins and needles sensation
- Muscle twitches and spasms
Chiropractors Can Help
Our chiropractor will determine if your pain, numbness, and tingling are due to a pinched nerve. Through a comprehensive physical exam and medical history, we can determine the cause of your pinched nerve, and what treatment will be appropriate for you. Some of the treatments for pinched nerves may include:
- Gentle muscle stretches to stop your spasms and encourage more flexibility
- Massage therapy to reduce inflammation compressing the nerves
- Spinal decompression therapy to take pressure off of bulging discs that are pressing on the nerves
- Chiropractic manipulation and adjustments to correct misalignments or pinched nerves such as in cases of sciatica
- Lifestyle recommendations, such as incorporating flexibility exercises and correcting your posture to prevent pinched nerves from recurring
Get Help from Our Chiropractor in Lynchburg and Altavista, VA
It is never a good idea to leave pinched nerves untreated. Over time, pinched nerves can continue to come back and even lead to chronic pain. At Palmer Chiropractic Center, we want to help you find relief from pinched nerves naturally, without the use of invasive surgery or medications with harmful side effects. Call our Lynchburg office today at (434) 237-2299 or our Altavista office at (434) 369-1015.